Friday, September 25, 2009

The right thing to do

I'm a pragmatic guy. Or at least, I try to be like that. That means that I like to be concrete, practical and goals-oriented. In short, being pragmatic means to do what works. And after a while that you study seduction material, you have sufficient data to know what is the right thing to do in a bunch of typical situations.

So it's easy? Not at all! In my case, sometimes even when I know EXACTLY what is the right thing to do, I do what doesn't work. When I'm emotional often I know what I have to do, but I think "fuck with that!" and do the opposite. I hate when my mind works against my own interest.

When I'm angry or too anxious, my reason and my good sense is bullied by my amygdala. My mind is taken by storm and I do something that I'll regret later on: "what the hell I've done? What the fuck I was thinking?"

The mind is extremely complex, and if you have problems (social phobia, excessive shyness, anxiety, depression and the like) you can make it worse if you don't know how the mind works. Specifically, if you try too hard to control you negative emotions and thoughts, you will multiply and reinforce them. This is my problem.

Instead, you must accept them and without trying to shut them off, direct you focus (attention) on something more positive (and useful, remember I'm pragmatic).

No comments:

Post a Comment